Saturday, December 25, 2010

Christmas

Another year almost gone. Christmas just past about an hour ago. I'm about to go to bed. Gotta get up in 5 hours for work again. This Christmas was not great, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
The last two months have been horrible. One disaster and stress after another. A week and a half before Christmas my car breaks and I had to drop a little over $500.00 on it. That happened to be pretty much all the money and then some I had been able to save in over a year. All week all I could think of was Christmas. Its in your face even if you are trying not to think about it. I had to open Christmas day, had to get up at 630 am. I was dreading it. I miss my family unbelievably. I haven't seen anyone in almost two years. And I just kept thinking about having to get up early last year on Christmas and getting a phone call about a friend passing in the night. I spent Christmas eve night alone. I tried to go to bed early and failed. Got up for work tired. Got ready and drove to work. From the time I got up till I got to work and had something to occupy my mind all I could think of was my tall friend. I miss him a lot, but I will hopefully see him again someday in the sky. I got through the crappy day at work and headed home to my empty house. I had a Christmas meatball sub from subway while watching Man vs. Wild. I wanted to cry, but then something happened. A bunch of my friends started texting and calling me. Some of them ended up coming over and we played some games and watched Hook. Everyone just left a little bit ago. I didn't get to see any family, but I did get to spend some time with friends. Some time that I don't ever have much of. I'm not going to lie and say it was a great Christmas, or that I still wasn't depressed some. I was. I don't know if my friends came over to keep me company, or they were bored at home, or both. I don't care though. I got to enjoy at least a couple hours of the day. This is the first Christmas in many years that didn't feel like a complete mind numbing disaster. It mostly felt like any other day of the year. I will take it.
My church and a potluck and worship service with another church this last Wednesday. There was a part during the service where people were telling God what they are thankful for. I didn't get to say anything. But for any of my friends that read this, I wanted to say how thankful I am for you guys. Without you, I honestly would not have made it these last couple years. I love you guys.

5 comments:

hillary said...

We love you too. And I almost took the mic from the dude to tell everyone how much I appreciated you all, BUT I chickened out. Ah well.

jayaygee said...

"The best way to spread Christmas cheer, is singing loud for all to hear."- Elf.
I love that movie. :)
I'm a dork. But I'm glad you were able to have a decent Christmas. I hope you have better days looking ahead. I pray that this new year, beautiful and spectacularly rad things will happen this year for you.
I got snowed in today. I was stuck at home but I got to freeze my face off in the snow. Fun. But considering church was canceled, I got together with my family and read a couple verses in Matthew 20: 1-16. We read and analyzed. It was good. Good parable. It was about how some peeps work harder than others or longer than others but in the end our God will give us all the same reward. But we shouldn't complain or be jealous of others having the same pay with only having done little work in the vineyard.
How does this apply to you...I don't know yet. But I figured I say it cause God's word somehow finds its way in any kind of problem and come out with a solution.
So yeah...I hope you have a stellar New Year. :)

OneBigHappy said...

I love you too. peace.

muzicbox said...

Hey Red Herring,

If you're in the same boat next year, you should volunteer your time somewhere - helping those less fortunate.

On Christmas Day we were torn - we wanted to go to a Old Folk's Home in LA and sing carols with a group of people from Andy's school - but we had already made other plans with family.

The family bit was really nice - but it would have been wonderful to spend time with the old folks and sing and hang out too - brighten their day, you know? Maybe next year!!

If there's nothing like that going on ... you should start early, maybe in November, and organize something like that yourself - through your church or something.

It's amazing how great something like that can be - it can start a really great tradition and take the focus off of other parts of your life that you're less happy with.

Love you dude.

Burkulater said...

You are welcome here every year on Christmas. I'm glad for your good friends. They're probably the ones I'm thinking of and they're pretty awesome. God always provides...even when things feel a little hopeless.